Non State Actor (NSA) Sensitization Workshop on CAADP/ the 2014 Malabo Declaration on Agricultural Transformation and Joint Sector Review was held in Abuja Nigeria on 15th – 16th March, 2016 at Ritz Hotel, Abuja.
Different Non State Actors (NSA) were drawn from different part of Nigeria to participate at the sensitization workshop due to specific objectives.
The specific objectives of the meeting are:
- To re-sensitize NSA with the purpose, design and status of Comprehensive African Agriculture Development Program (CAADP) and the 2014 Malabo Declaration;
- To create pillars that will guide the NSA involvement and a shared understanding on the role of the NSA in CAADP and provide progress made so far on regional and national levels;
- Reviews and discuss the concept of Mutual Accountability and rationale, status and next steps for strengthening Agricultural Joint Sector(JSR) in Nigeria;
- To draft and Action Plan for areas in which NSA engagement in Nigeria can be strengthened for the implementation Malabo Declaration at the national level; and
- To share lessons and results of the impact of NSA in the implementation of CAADP in Nigeria.
The Priorities of Comprehensive African Agriculture Development Program (CAADP)
The priorities for Nigeria as we relate to CAADP/Malabo commitments are as following:
- Recommitment to the Principles and Values of the CAADP Process
- Commitment to Enhancing Investment Finance in Agriculture;
- Commitment to Ending Hunger in Africa by 2025;
- Commitment to Halving Poverty by the year 2025, through Inclusive Agricultural Growth and Transformation;
- Commitment to Boosting Intra-African Trade in Agricultural commodities and services;
- Commitment to Enhancing Resilience of Livelihoods and Production Systems to Climate
- Variability and other related risks;
- Commitment to Mutual Accountability to Actions and Results;
- Strengthening the African Union Commission to support delivery on these commitments; and
- A Call for Action.
However, presentations were made by different presenters at the workshop, NSA brained stormed on issues with their final presentations and the purpose of meeting met the specific objectives as slated in the agenda. The workshop was successful and ended on second day of event.